Through its work in performance management and quality improvement (QI), the Public Health Foundation (PHF) assists health departments with improving performance. One of the ways that PHF accomplishes this is by providing relevant tools and resources such as Outcomes, Performance, Structure: Three Keys to Organizational Excellence, a newly released publication from the American Society for Quality.
Based on more than 30 years of research, the book will help public health professionals, healthcare workers, and others put existing performance criteria in a context of your organizational system and assist you in using the information to effectively assess problems. Authors Michael E. Gallery, PhD, CAE, and Stephen C. Carey, PhD, CAE, identify outcomes, performance, and structure as the three essential elements in examining organizations as systems:
- Outcomes explains why the organization exists and what it produces; and includes the mission, vision, and goals and objectives
- Performance incorporates the strategies, activities, and programs that staff carry out on a daily basis to produce the outcomes
- Structure assists organizations in identifying at what level each of its objectives needs to be sustained to achieve desired outcomes
PHF Senior Quality Advisor John M. Moran, PhD, CQM, says: “This book would be useful to health departments that either have an existing performance management system or are developing one. It covers many of the performance management/quality improvement concepts that PHF uses in the field. This book also helps leaders understand how to build an information framework to organize and make sense of the information they have.”
This book will help you:
- Put your existing performance criteria in a context of your organizational system
- Use criteria to assess organizational problems
- Design solutions to systemic problems
- Draw out key improvement areas
- Evaluate success
Order Outcomes, Performance, Structure: Three Keys to Organizational Excellence today from PHF’s Online Store. For additional information about QI tools and techniques order The Public Health Quality Improvement Encyclopedia.
Learn more about PHF QI Services and review recent PHF course offerings.
Tell us about how you intend to improve your current performance management system by leaving a comment below.