The Turning Point Performance Management National Excellence Collaborative (PMC) was a group of seven states and five national partner organizations that studied and promoted the use of performance management systems in public health. From 2000 to 2005, PHF collaborated with the PMC to study how organizations manage performance and to develop a series of publications to help public health organizations better understand and apply these techniques. The performance management resources below are available online. To access more up-to-date performance management and quality improvement resources and tools, visit the Public Health Improvement Resource Center
A successful performance management system is driven by state and local needs and
designed to closely align with a public health agency's mission and strategic plans.
- From Silos to Systems: Using Performance Management to Improve the Public’s Health: This guide was designed to help public health agency leaders understand the benefits, practical applications, and four core elements of performance management: 1) performance standards, 2) performance measurement, 3) reporting of progress, and 4) quality improvement process. Geared for busy leaders, this compact guide gives your management team or board an understanding of what it takes to start managing performance.
- Guidebook for Performance Measurement: This guidebook is a user-friendly primer on performance measurement. It offers useful definitions, worksheets, and methods to help your team select performance measures and set objectives, while involving internal and external stakeholders in the process.
- Performance Management in Action - Tools and Resources: This toolkit aims to assist state health agencies and others in implementing the four components of the PMC's performance management model. It includes sample performance improvement plans, standards and measures, reports, and other helpful documents from public health agencies.
- Performance Management Self-Assessment Tool: This self-assessment tool will help you and your team identify the extent to which you have components of a performance management system. Developed by and for public health agencies to aid their performance improvement efforts, this tool is organized around each of the four components of performance management identified in the PMC's model.
- Performance Management - Understanding the Turning Point Model DVD: This 30-minute user-friendly program is a practical companion piece to the Performance Management Four Book Combination. Created by the Turning Point Performance Management Collaborative along with the Public Health Foundation, this DVD will assist those exploring the concepts of performance management.
- Selected Literature of Performance Management: This review of performance management literature, produced by the Performance Management National Excellence Collaborative with the Public Health Foundation, highlights references from the public health, business, government, health care, education, and non-profit sectors.
- Survey on Performance Management Practices in States: This 2002 report presents results of the PMC's baseline survey of state health agency practices in performance management. It characterizes the types of performance that agencies manage, the frameworks they use, and the outcomes they report as a result of their efforts.